vineri, 19 noiembrie 2010

Lament of the Valkyrie

My name is Brynhild. I am a valkyrie, a maiden of Odin, sent to carry the victorious dead into the halls of Valhalla. I have disobeyed and into death-like sleep have I been sent by the Allfather. Long was my rest but then a hero came and fought the flames around me, finally ending my long sleep. A dragon-slayer was he and he pledged me his heart and sword. And I have loved him ever since. I, the cold maiden of the ice lands, had never felt love before, nor shall I again. It is he, my beloved, my Sigurd, that has my heart whole.

Amongst rivers of ice have I waited for his return, the sun to melt the cold away. But he went away and forgot me, as if I had never been. Another maiden lies now between his arms, taking that which was once mine. He has gone away from me never to come back, despite my faithful waiting for him. He has gone away and took all the joy in my heart. He has taken sun and warmth, comfort and safeness.

Who I am to judge him, you say? Who I am to still pledge my love to one that has banished me from his heart? I am a valkyrie, I am a chosen of Odin. I am a fighter and a redeemer. I am she who has never been defeated in combat by man or woman alike. But for now, when my mind drifts to my beloved Sigurd, I am only human...

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu